The Note 20 has lots of methods up its sleeve.
Samsung’s Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra appear to be nice telephones, which the early impressions from CNET’s Jessica Dolcourt seem to verify. Like Jessica, I’ve been utilizing the Note 20 Ultra, which brings a bigger show, a sooner refresh price, an even bigger battery and a microSD card slot, for a couple of days now. While I have not found each new function and setting, I’ve discovered some implausible hidden options that make the Note 20 expertise that a lot better. For occasion, you possibly can activate an alarm that allows you to know when you left your S Pen behind. Or do you know you possibly can lock your homescreen structure so it does not get tousled after you hung out getting all the pieces precisely the place you wished?
For extra like this
Subscribe to the How To e-newsletter, obtain notifications and see associated tales on CNET.
Below are 10 hidden options that make the Note 20 so a lot better than it already is.
First Look: Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra
1. Take benefit of that sooner showThe Note 20 Ultra has a variable display refresh price of as much as 120Hz. That means when your cellphone detects you are doing one thing like scrolling via a protracted electronic mail or web site, it makes use of the sooner refresh price, making the scrolling expertise buttery clean. The normal Note 20 has a 60Hz show, with no 120Hz choice in any respect. When you are simply taking a look at a photograph, or doing one thing else that does not require lots of onscreen movement, your Note 20 Ultra will default to 60Hz. It’s a good suggestion to double-check that your cellphone has its Motion Smoothness function turned on. To try this, open Settings > Display > Motion smoothness and ensure Adaptive is chosen. As Samsung factors out, the elevated refresh price will use extra battery, however that is a worth I’m prepared to pay for a greater expertise.
Just thought I’d use the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra’s S Pen to make a GIF of the 120Hz display refresh price menu and level out Samsung’s acknowledgement that the setting will cut back battery life pic.twitter.com/7sWvdxGUuP— Jessica Dolcourt (@jdolcourt) August 6, 2020
2. Don’t neglect your S PenThe Note’s S Pen is certainly one of its flagship options, nevertheless it’s additionally very simple to depart it sitting someplace, by no means to be seen once more. Thankfully, when you go to Settings > Advanced options > S Pen and scroll all the way down to the Removal part, you may discover an choice referred to as Pen proximity alert. Turn it on. Now, whenever you go away your S Pen sitting in your desk, or it falls between your sofa cushions and also you begin to stroll away, your cellphone will beep as you get out of vary. 3. Always-on show places information a look awayOne of my favourite options about any Android cellphone is the Always-On Display (AOD). With AOD turned on, you possibly can shortly have a look at your cellphone to test the time, see any pending notifications, battery proportion and even management music playback all with out having to wake your cellphone up or unlock it. The Note 20 has an Always-On Display choice, however out of the field means you may have to wake your cellphone’s display earlier than it’ll present up. It’s counterproductive. Change that by going into Settings > Lock display > Always on show. Don’t faucet on the button to show it on, as an alternative faucet on the textual content so you possibly can customise the way it works. Go via every setting and part, choosing out the clock and shade you want, and even setting a schedule if you would like. See? Much higher. You actually do not need to lose that S Pen, do you?
4. Switch up your lock display app shortcutsWhen you have a look at your cellphone’s lock display, you may see an app icon that gives a fast option to launch an app in every nook. Samsung units the cellphone and digicam apps because the default shortcuts, however can change which apps you possibly can open and the way you entry the shortcut. Open Settings > Lock display > Shortcuts and choose Floating button. While there, you can also change the apps proven in your lock display to no matter you need. With the floating button turned on, there shall be a three-dot icon that exhibits up simply above the fingerprint sensor in your lock display. Long-press on that button to view your app shortcuts, after which drag your finger to the app you need to launch. 5. Change the variety of notifications proven within the standing barIt could be exhausting to maintain up the numerous alerts our telephones obtain all day lengthy. It’s much more of a wrestle when the standing bar in your Note 20 limits the variety of icons for app notifications. The Note 20 Ultra I’m testing has a restrict of three app icons within the standing bar, which is not near sufficient. If you open Settings > Notifications > Status Bar, you possibly can change the standing bar to indicate a quantity for all pending notifications (which might really feel overwhelming, when you ask me), your three most up-to-date, or my private favourite, all notifications. Of course, there’s solely a lot room within the standing bar, so when you’ve got a bunch of alerts from a lot of apps, not all of them will present up, however helped me to have greater than three current. The Note 20’s homescreen could be locked in place.
6. Lock your homescreen structure to maintain it wanting tidyIf you are like me, you spend lots of time shifting app icons and widgets round your homescreen. There’s a rhyme and purpose for which apps go the place, and when issues get moved, it throws your complete circulation off. Samsung permits you to lock your homescreen structure, holding all the pieces precisely the place you left it. Long-press on a clean spot of your homescreen, then faucet on Home Screen Settings when the choices popup. Find Lock Home display structure and faucet on the change to show the function On. When it is enabled, you may see a reminder present up in your display anytime you attempt to transfer an app icon. If you usually hand your cellphone to your child to look at movies, this function is your new greatest pal.Just swipe as much as go dwelling.
7. Ditch the quaint button navigation setupOut of the field, your Galaxy Note 20 will default to Android’s conventional three-button navigation. There’ll be buttons to return, dwelling and examine the app switcher. It’s time to make the change to Android 10’s gesture-based navigation. After a couple of days of swiping round your cellphone, you may neglect all in regards to the buttons and recognize the added display actual property. To flip it on, go to Settings > Display > Navigation Bar and choose Swipe gestures. I like to recommend turning on gesture hints for a couple of days whilst you study the brand new navigation method. If you end up struggling, we now have an entire information to Android 10’s gesture navigation function, full with animated photos that present you precisely what to do. The S Pen is certainly one of our favourite Note 20 options.
8. Use the brand new S Pen Air InstructionsYour S Pen can accomplish that far more than act as a stylus to put in writing or draw in your Note’s show. Starting with the Note 20 line, you now can use the S Pen to regulate your system from throughout the room. All you may have to do is take away the S Pen, maintain down the button and use one of many 5 new gestures to return a display, go to your homescreen and extra. We cowl the brand new S Pen methods in full element, so make sure to test that out.Live Caption on the Galaxy S20 Plus seems and works identical to it does on the Note 20. 9. Live transcriptions for any audio in your NoteGoogle’s Live Caption function — which can transcribe movies, podcasts and even cellphone calls in actual time — is accessible on the Note 20. All it’s essential do is slide down the short settings panel, discover the tile labeled Live Caption and faucet on it. A black bar will seem with the stay textual content taken straight from the audio. Turn off Live Caption by repeating the identical steps within the fast settings panel.10. Add additional safety to pick out apps utilizing Secure FolderIf you are utilizing a piece cellphone, however have private or personal info that you just need to lock down with one other passcode or sample, you possibly can reap the benefits of the Notes Secure Folder function. Open Settings > Biometrics and safety > Secure folder to stroll via the setup course of. You can set up apps and retailer information and photographs. It’s such as you’re utilizing a totally totally different cellphone.If you are still attempting to resolve whether or not or not it’s best to preorder the Note 20 or Note 20 Ultra, be certain that to take a look at our ongoing evaluation the place we’re overlaying the entire good and dangerous in regards to the cellphone. Or when you’ve already made up your thoughts, you possibly can preorder proper now. The cellphone will formally be obtainable on Aug. 21.