[Editor’s Notice: What instantly follows is a rundown of the newest developments and options Google has added to Apps for Work (G Suite) since this assessment was first written.]
- Google introduced the rollout of recent controls to assist customers defend delicate information in Group Drives, which at the moment are obtainable for G Suite Enterprise, Enterprise and Schooling prospects.
- Google Websites received the flexibility to repeat a website created within the app. This manner, it’s simple to again up an internet site, or create a template for a brand new website, so that you don’t have to start from scratch.
- It’s price noting that this month, the brand new Google One plan was revealed as a contemporary tackle client cloud storage, and we might even see a business-oriented spin on this sooner or later.
- Google began to roll out its new Confidential Mode and Sensible Compose options to Gmail, with the previous providing some necessary enhancements by way of electronic mail safety.
- Google Drive received a cosmetic update, with various minor tweaks, together with firm logos now showing within the top-right to maintain issues constant throughout G Suite.
- An replace to the Google bar signifies that the corporate’s model and brand can now be displayed subsequent to the person’s image on the high of G Suite companies similar to Calendar and Drive.
- A contemporary model of Gmail arrived this month, that includes a Confidential Mode which helps to protect sensitive data, imposing a time restrict on when it may be accessed (and way more).
- Gmail additionally beefed up protection against phishing emails, utilizing machine studying expertise to higher spot these threats, and flagging them up way more prominently.
- And Gmail additionally received some neat new features like ‘nudging’, which reminds you to answer to messages languishing in your inbox that you could have forgotten about.
- Google launched new playing cards which seem in G suite apps once you hover over a person’s title or image, providing you with key particulars like their job title, division and get in touch with data.
- Jamboard information that you just personal now seem in Google Drive, permitting you to extra simply work with them and share them with people.
- Google Websites launched the flexibility to create a customized ‘favicon’, which is the small icon that seems on the far left of the browser tab (and alongside the positioning’s bookmark).
- Google Docs, Sheets and Slides now have an Exercise Dashboard which helps you to see who has considered a file and when, so you possibly can hold of us up-to-date in the event that they’ve missed one thing.
- Google Drive had its ‘Shared with Me’ part rejigged to be higher organized, and to show customers who’ve shared information with you, to make it simpler to search out older information.
- It was introduced that G Suite will get full integration with Dropbox later this 12 months, that means that you just’ll have the ability to create and edit Google Docs, Sheets and Slides information inside Dropbox.
- Jamboard received some new options together with AutoDraw, which permits the person to sketch a top level view on the display screen, detects what it’s, and replaces it with a related picture of the item.
- Google added the aptitude for customers to have the ability to electronic mail all members of a Group Drive at simply the clicking of a menu possibility, for added collaborative comfort.
- Google Drive customers can now remark instantly on extra file codecs saved of their drive, together with PDFs and Microsoft Workplace information – with out having to transform them to Google Docs information.
- A brand new Hangouts Meet room package has been launched appropriate for bigger rooms. It’s constructed across the Logitech PTZ Professional 2 and is able to coping with conferences of as much as 20 folks.
- Google boasted in regards to the progress of its cloud enterprise throughout Alphabet’s earnings announcement, with the revelation that G Suite now has four million paying customers.
- Google Websites now means that you can publish your website to a selected viewers solely, that means it’s doable to decide on who can view content material moderately than permitting everybody on-line to take action.
- Jamboard has change into a ‘core’ G Suite service, that means that it’s listed as such within the admin console, and it’s coated with the identical degree of tech assist as different core companies.
- Google’s Drive desktop sync consumer for Mac and PC has been given a slight reprieve – Google introduced the service will now shut down on Could 12, moderately than March 12.
- Hangouts Meet acquired a serious boon for pill customers, as it’s now usable on Android and iOS slates.
- Google additional tweaked the menus for Docs and Slides, making it simpler to search out sure issues and obtain sure duties (like including a web page break in Docs).
- Auto-provisioning was enabled for eight extra third-party apps for G Suite Enterprise/Enterprise prospects, together with: AWS, Evernote, GoToMeeting, Sugar, Zendesk and Office 365.
- Google made life simpler for admins by giving G Suite’s apps settings web page, which lists core apps, a way more streamlined appear and feel.
- If the Gadget Coverage app detects that an Android gadget has violated an organization safety coverage, it’s going to now disable all non-critical apps (i.e. these not wanted for the gadget to perform).
- And for iOS units, Google Cell Administration now permits admins to cease staff from syncing company information on jailbroken iOS .
- Google tuned up the menus in Docs and Slides, renaming sure instruments and menu choices to make them simpler to search out, and for higher consistency throughout these two apps.
- G Suite has new templates in 4 contemporary classes in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, together with templates for HR, undertaking administration, freelancer engagement and gross sales.
- Google Websites was improved with the flexibility to create and simply handle site-wide web page footers in a single place.
- The Jamboard app for cellular units was enhanced to allow customers to create and edit objects in jams on their smartphones.
- Google Docs and Slides now has an even bigger font catalogue which helps 62 languages, and that features non-Latin scripts like Cyrillic, with extra on the best way.
- Google Docs, Sheets and Slides now permits customers to (optionally) copy throughout feedback and solutions when they’re duplicating a doc, spreadsheet or presentation.
- Google launched a new kit for Hangouts Meet which comprises all of the it is advisable to maintain high-quality video conferences utilizing Google’s videoconferencing software program.
- Add-ons for Gmail have been launched, which let customers entry sure options of widespread apps proper from inside their inbox, together with the likes of Asana, QuickBooks and Trello.
- Google Calendar on the internet benefited from a redesign to make it look extra just like the cellular app, and a few new options together with the flexibility to handle a number of calendars side-by-side.
- Google made it simpler to match and distinction completely different G Suite editions, and the agency additionally made it less complicated for customers to modify their subscription between these completely different editions.
- A brand new model of the Google Contacts app emerged on Android, which launched motion buttons beneath a contact’s picture to start out a chat or make a name, amongst different new options.
- Hangouts Meet now permits G Suite Enterprise prospects to make use of a dial-in cellphone quantity to affix a gathering (audio-only) when out and about, in the event that they don’t have an web connection.
- Drive File Stream is now obtainable to all G Suite prospects, a desktop app which permits for simple and handy entry to all of your Google Drive information on demand.
- Google improved the Jamboard app to make it simpler to make use of in your cellular gadget, and to permit customers to current a jam to a gathering instantly from their cellphone.
- Google Sheets customers have gained the flexibility to customise their headers and footers, and to select from a variety of predefined choices (similar to web page numbers, dates and so forth).
- Google Slides received some nifty tweaks together with a brand new vary of add-ons, plus integration with Google Maintain, permitting you to tug notes instantly from the latter into the previous.
- Gmail’s Electronic mail Log Search function within the Admin console now permits admins to trace the supply of emails despatched by customers of their area, and see the present standing of these messages.
- Google’s Jamboard lastly went on sale within the UK (after being available in the US and Canada) with an asking value of £three,999.
- Google made its Contacts app obtainable to a wider vary of units – principally to all working Android 5.zero or higher (together with Samsung, LG and Motorola units).
- Google’s collaborative whiteboard, Jamboard, is now on sale in Canada for CA$6,949 (versus simply the US). Optimistically it’s going to come to the UK quickly, as nicely.
- Google boosted the collaborative powers of Docs, Slides and Sheets with the introduction of a brand new system that clarifies which model of a doc collaborators are engaged on.
- Following the introduction of anti-phishing safety measures within the Gmail app for Android, those self same capabilities that warn of suspicious hyperlinks have arrived within the iOS app.
- Google has made information loss prevention (DLP) performance obtainable for content material saved in Group Drives (this function got here to Google Drive again firstly of this 12 months).
- Google has tweaked the default apps which seem in its app launcher, so it’s going to spotlight extra helpful apps off the bat, similar to Gmail, Google Drive and Docs.
- Google Drive has been tweaked so staff can share information saved in Google’s cloud with of us who don’t have a Google account, offering admin permissions permit this.
- Google’s Jamboard (collaborative digital whiteboard) now permits for duplicating objects, gives simpler object choice, and boasts a brand new keyboard that helps ‘glide typing’.
- G Suite benefited from the introduction of a new recruiting app: Rent lets employers hold tabs on potential candidates and permits for scheduling interviews and the like.
- Hangouts Meet now gives a reside chat perform, so assembly individuals can ship messages or hyperlinks in real-time, with a chat historical past obtainable during the assembly.
- Google introduced the imminent launch of a Backup and Sync app which mechanically backs up information and images from a PC onto Google Drive. The enterprise model will comply with later in 2017.
- G Suite admins benefited from the introduction of computerized provisioning for six new apps: Asana, Dialpad, Freshdesk, Lucidchart, RingCentral, and Smartsheet.
- Google has prolonged the flexibility of G Suite admins to limit sure customers from creating Group Drives, and this performance will probably be obtainable indefinitely (as a substitute of expiring in 2018).
- Gmail admins acquired the flexibility to inform inner mail senders with an informative warning when a message will get quarantined on account of a problem with compliance insurance policies.
- Google Vault was graced with various new options to make retrieving information a extra correct course of, together with detailed metadata for information exported from Google Drive.
- Google’s Jamboard, the large collaborative digital whiteboard, went on sale in the US on Could 23. You want a G Suite plan to make use of the 55-inch board which prices $5,000 (£four,100).
- The Fast Entry function, which makes an attempt to intelligently spotlight the information you would possibly want earlier than you’ve even looked for them, arrived for Google Drive on the internet.
- Sensible Reply – Google’s nifty system which mechanically suggests fast responses to emails, with a purpose to prevent the trouble – is coming to Gmail for Android and iOS.
- Google added pre-integrated single sign-on assist for 9 extra third-party apps, together with Asana, Dialpad, Evernote Enterprise, Expensify, Keeper, Pagerduty and Trello.
- Gmail on Android acquired a lift in safety with the introduction of anti-phishing checks to warn customers once they click on on a suspicious hyperlink in a message.
- New settings have been launched within the admin console to permit for higher administration of customers’ offline entry to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides information.
- Google Websites was improved with the introduction of the flexibility so as to add a brand to your website, which the app will intelligently scan for colors, and provide to make use of them throughout your theme.
- For these companies that use Google+, which turned a part of G Suite final autumn, admins now have entry to improved enterprise-focused reporting on adoption and engagement.
- Google Cloud Search is now obtainable as an iOS app (it was already on Android). The app gives a machine intelligence-powered, unified search expertise throughout G Suite.
- Google started the rollout of a refreshed Google Accounts login web page, which has a brand new appear and feel that’s designed to be constant throughout telephones, tablets and PCs.
- Gmail on the desktop has been improved in order that once you obtain a message with a video attachment, you’ll have the ability to preview the clip from proper inside your inbox.
- As a part of an effort to higher combine G Suite with Salesforce, Google made it doable to export a Salesforce Alternative Record View on to Sheets with a purpose to bulk edit information.
- Google introduced that Jamboard, its large digital whiteboard – billed because the ‘final freeform collaboration expertise’ for G Suite customers – will be out in May costing $5,000.
- Google launched a contemporary app, Meet by Google Hangouts, a videoconferencing answer for companies that enables for video calls with as much as 30 group members.
- G Suite saw the addition of the Google Keep app, an Evernote-style note-taking effort which now you can entry from a sidebar panel in Google Docs.
- Google clarified that Hangouts customers received’t have the ability to make video/audio calls in Firefox 52 on account of plugins being disabled for safety causes, but it surely’s actively engaged on an answer.
- Google Drive customers can now view password-protected Microsoft Workplace paperwork in Drive, in read-only kind – and this works for Gmail attachments, too.
- Sheets (and its cellular apps) now helps the flexibility to rotate textual content inside a cell, plus Google launched new border kinds and improved accounting quantity formatting.
- Google additionally modified Sheets on the internet so customers can hyperlink to particular cell ranges, so for instance it’s now doable to create a linked desk of contents on your spreadsheet.
- Need to insert movies instantly from Google Drive into Google Slides shows? Now you can do precisely that, with various choices to choose from similar to autoplay.
- Google Cloud Search was dropped at G Suite, providing bolstered search performance throughout the productiveness suite, and machine intelligence-powered suggestions.
- Google added enterprise-grade controls and visibility to G Suite, together with improved information management with Information Loss Prevention measures, and extra scope for analytics.
- It turned simpler to create paperwork and the like from templates, because the latter can now be accessed instantly from Google Drive (moderately than having to enter the G suite apps).
- The cellular apps for each Google Docs and Sheets received various new options, together with the flexibility to insert headers/footers, plus improved manipulation of photos.
- Google made it simpler to create group chats for groups in Hangouts, permitting for the straightforward creation and naming of ‘placeholder’ group chats which will be swiftly shared.
- Primary Cell Administration was launched to G Suite, which lets admins implement primary safety on iOS units without having for the person to put in an MDM profile.
- Google Sheets acquired some tuning, together with a brand new setting to maintain a restrict on iterative calculations, and a few interface enhancements have been made with the Android app.
- Gmail has been improved to make ‘bounce’ messages – the notifications customers obtain when an electronic mail fails to be delivered – extra simply comprehensible and informative.
- Google bolstered the Explore feature (launched in September) by making it lifeless simple to insert citations as footnotes in Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Lastly, this previous month, we found that G Suite is only half as popular as Microsoft’s Office 365, a minimum of based on one survey of European enterprises.
- The cellular apps for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides had a ‘trash view’ launched whereby now you can see and restore beforehand deleted information.
- Google opened up applications for the Early Adopter Program for the Group Drives function in Google Drive, a brand new and extra sturdy approach of sharing information between groups.
- Slides was tweaked to allow customers to have the ability to save within the OpenDocument Presentation (ODP) file format for compatibility with the likes of LibreOffice and OpenOffice.
- G Suite has launched customized templates for Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Kinds, so you possibly can arrange your personal particularly tailor-made templates for colleagues to make use of as wanted.
- The overhauled Google Websites has been rolled out to all G Suite customers, boasting a refreshed design, six new themes, and the flexibility to trace efficiency with Google Analytics.
- Google pushed out a brand new Gmail app for iOS with main modifications together with an improved design, higher search performance, and an ‘undo ship’ choice to retract electronic mail errors.
- It was introduced that the Google Drive desktop app received’t be supported by Google for Home windows XP, Vista or Server 2003 as of the beginning of subsequent 12 months, January 1, 2017.
- The voice options of Docs received a critical increase, with the introduction of recent instructions to format textual content, and do issues similar to inserting hyperlinks and feedback.
- Google teamed up with Slack so customers of the team-focused messaging answer can instantly import information from Google Drive, or create new paperwork from inside Slack.
- Google additionally introduced that these utilizing aged variations of the Google Drive desktop app ought to be aware that assist for variations 1.27 or older will probably be discontinued in February 2017.
- Google Docs now allows you to embrace web page numbers within the desk of contents you possibly can create for a doc.
- Google launched built-in search performance for Gmail, Calendar, Teams, and Drive on the internet, that means that search outcomes will probably be pulled from throughout all of those.
- Google has renamed Apps for Work as G Suite, which the corporate says higher displays the software program’s mission by way of placing the emphasis on real-time collaboration.
- Docs, Sheets and Slides witnessed the introduction of a brand new Discover function consisting of intelligent assistants that help you craft better documents.
- A brand new Fast Entry functionality was dropped at Google Drive. It makes use of machine studying to mechanically floor information it thinks you will want subsequent primarily based in your utilization patterns.
- Google rolled out a brand new provide for customers of its productiveness suite, with a free 60-day trial of Chrome gadget administration which is nice for as much as 10 units.
- Google Drive made looking out simpler with the introduction of pure language processing, that means which you could phrase your search in everyday conversational terms.
- Google introduced a partnership with Field whereby the latter will probably be built-in with Google Docs, permitting customers to edit paperwork instantly from Field’s cloud storage.
- A brand new Google Hangouts Chrome extension was pushed out permitting for a number of chat home windows to be integrated into one, and making extra chat content material readily seen.
- Google launched a ‘Cast…’ function in the principle menu of Chrome, and this can be utilized to share the contents of a browser tab – or the entire desktop – right into a Hangout session.
- Kinds acquired a brand new function which permits the insertion of photos into surveys, so now you can do issues like have a a number of alternative query with photos for solutions.
- The Android apps for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides have been improved to make it simpler to create tables and higher trying charts.
- A few safety tweaks have been utilized to Gmail, crucial of which is that the webmail service will now situation a warning a couple of hyperlink if it results in a identified malware website.
- Inbox received integration with Trello and GitHub, so Trello customers will obtain a abstract of what is new with initiatives, and GitHub denizens will get a abstract of code modifications.
- Google Drive’s preview function was improved to make viewing previews of saved information a slicker expertise, with a cleaner UI and higher zoom performance.
- Google introduced a new scheme to assist prepare staff on its productiveness suite, with the system designed to behave like a ‘digital coach’ to assist customers study when IT employees aren’t round.
- Google tweaked the Admin app for Android to let delegated admins (and never simply tremendous admins) use the software program to entry capabilities whereas out and about.
- Google gave the Admin console some consideration by way of two-step verification, permitting admins to view the real-time standing of the place every person is within the 2SV enrolment course of.
- Apps for Work is outwardly being muscled out by Microsoft’s Office 365, a minimum of if sentiment from Redmond’s Worldwide Associate Convention is on the cash.
- Google launched the brand new Quizzes function within the Kinds app, designed to permit lecturers to simply create and mark assessments for college students.
- Google Springboard was introduced, a search software (at present being examined) that can be utilized to rapidly discover issues throughout Google Apps, plus it makes proactive suggestions.
- Google Websites received revamped with a brand new preview model boasting a easy drag-and-drop design which is extra intuitive, and assist for real-time collaboration was launched.
- A ‘new and notable’ part was launched to the Google Apps Market, with a purpose to spotlight the very best third-party apps obtainable to companies.
- The Android and iOS apps for Google Docs and Sheets gained the flexibility to edit content material in Print structure view, and to edit present conditional formatting guidelines in Sheets.
- Google tweaked Docs, Sheets and Slides so notifications of feedback made not solely arrive by way of electronic mail, however you can too get a notification in your Android gadget or net browser.
- Google introduced its new Spaces messaging app designed for small teams – however there is no information as but on when (or certainly whether or not) it’s going to come to Apps for Work.
- At Google I/O new APIs have been launched for Sheets, giving builders a “new degree of entry” to a number of the hottest options within the app.
- New APIs have been additionally dropped at Slides permitting builders to simply push information from different third-party apps into Slides for max comfort.
- Google revealed that Android apps will be available for Chromebooks, and this opens up extra productiveness prospects together with utilizing the Android model of Microsoft Phrase.
- Google built-in its BigQuery service with Google Drive, permitting customers to question information instantly from Drive, and save question outcomes from the BigQuery UI on to Google Sheets.
- Google Slides benefited from a brand new Q&A function that lets viewers members submit inquiries to the speaker instantly from their cellular units throughout a presentation.
- The Synergyse service was totally built-in with Google Apps, a digital assistant that helps prepare customers within the numerous apps and was beforehand a Chrome extension.
- Google Drive and Evernote have been built-in, permitting Evernote customers to seamlessly entry any file on Drive.
- Google Apps for Work acquired two new certifications: ISO 27017 for cloud safety and ISO 27018 for privateness.
- A brand new ‘Discover a Time’ function arrived in Google Calendar for Android, permitting cellular customers to search out handy occasions for conferences once they’re on the go.
- Google’s scheme of offering Apps totally free to medium-sized companies who need to migrate over however are locked into an Enterprise Settlement was prolonged till the top of 2016.
- Reminders pitched up within the net model of Google Calendar, and stated reminders will sync throughout browsers and cellular units.
- The Google Admin app acquired bolstered cellular gadget administration capabilities, permitting for admins to deal with safety breaches even once they’re out and about.
- Analysis into the most-used business apps on the web ranked Google Apps for Work in fourth place – behind Workplace 365, Salesforce.com and Field.
- Google launched its #maketime website, which goals that can assist you prioritise the way you spend time throughout work hours, and spotlight how Google Apps for Work can prevent time.
- Google expanded support for its Identity Platform to cowl logins for a lot extra third-party apps within the Google Apps Market, together with Workplace 365 and Fb at Work.
- A complete bunch of recent templates have been added to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Gmail’s existing Data Loss Prevention features received a lift with the addition of OCR for scanning attachments and extra predefined content material detectors.
- Google additionally gave Gmail the flexibility to flag email accounts that it deems ‘insecure’.
- Google Docs was enhanced with voice typing, permitting customers to dictate to their phrase processor, and in addition entry enhancing and formatting instructions.
- Google Kinds gained assist for add-ons and the flexibility to edit Apps Scripts, plus work and education-related templates have been launched to the house display screen.
- The Gmail for Android app acquired assist for wealthy textual content formatting, and an possibility for one-tap instantaneous RSVPs was launched.
- Prompt feedback have been launched to Google Docs, permitting customers to click on a easy icon so as to add an instantaneous remark to a doc.
- The flexibility so as to add feedback arrived within the Sheets and Slides apps for each Android and iOS.
- Google additional bolstered the Sheets Android app with the flexibility to open and edit CSV and TSV information, together with extra information supported for import and export.
- Google Calendar for Android and iOS apps was graced with sensible solutions that pop up advised occasion titles, locations and folks.
- Search turned extra highly effective throughout Google’s productiveness suite, so when customers search from Docs, Sheets, and Slides residence screens, they get outcomes from throughout all three apps.
- Google rejigged gadget administration within the Admin console, categorising the varied settings to make the whole lot simpler to search out.
Darren Allan contributed to this text