Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
When catastrophe strikes, you will fare higher when you’re ready. It’s essential to have necessities available like consuming water, nonperishable meals, battery powered flashlights and cellphone chargers or energy banks. What’s in your cellphone could also be simply as beneficial. You can pull up Google’s Public Alerts to begin, after which take a look at our prime 17 apps that will help you earlier than, throughout and after the subsequent emergency — whether or not it is a hurricane, earthquake, wildfire or flooding. Many of those Android and iOS apps work each on-line and off for assist throughout energy outages or a lack of cell service. What to do earlier than an emergency1. Weather UndergroundWeather Underground (Android, iOS) is a crowdsourced info app that brings hyperlocal climate forecasts to your smartphone. You’ll additionally discover pictures, interactive radar information and satellite tv for pc maps.
2. Hurricane HoundAs its identify implies, Hurricane Hound (Android) permits you to monitor energetic hurricanes utilizing US radar and climate satellite tv for pc information.
3. Natural Disaster MonitorSimply monitor tropical cyclones, tsunamis, floods and extra as color-coded icons, differentiated by risk stage, in a listing or Google Maps backdrop with Natural Disaster Monitor (Android).
Natural Disaster Monitor
4. MyRadar Weather RadarMyRadar Weather Radar (Android, iOS) offers you with well timed and correct information on approaching storms, courtesy of high-res animated climate radars and 11 completely different overlay graphics, together with a present satellite tv for pc picture of cloud cowl. You may also allow extreme climate watches and warnings by way of push notifications, so that you’re alerted about impending thunderstorms, hurricanes and tornados.
MyRadar Weather Radar
5. First Aid: American Red CrossGet invaluable, life-saving suggestions and directions that will help you and others survive on a regular basis emergencies and pure disasters — resembling hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes — with the First Aid: American Red Cross (Android, iOS) app. American Red Cross additionally has a slew of apps that will help you throughout particular disasters, together with Tornado (Android, iOS), Flood (Android, iOS) and Hurricane (Android, iOS).
American Red Cross
6. Disaster AlertGet notified about upcoming hurricanes, tropical cyclones, tsunamis, in addition to floods, storms and wildfires, so you are not taken unexpectedly with Disaster Alert (Android, iOS).
7. ICE Medical StandardICE Medical Standard (Android, iOS) places your very important well being data and emergency medical contacts in your lock display, so first responders can see all of it instantly, whether or not you are dazed, confused or unconscious.
Ice Medical Standard
What to do throughout an emergency8. SirenGPSDialing 911 from a cell phone would not carry on the spot help, as a result of dispatchers want some location data to seek out you. SirenGPS (Android, iOS) places them on the contact of 1 huge purple button. If your group subscribes to Siren 911, close by first responders will obtain your location and profile (emergency contacts, medical historical past, allergy symptoms and present drugs, which you set into the app), bettering your probability of being rescued in time.
9. Trusted ContactsJust add your family members and permit them to request your location in Trusted Contacts (Android, iOS). You can share your whereabouts proactively or when requested. If you are unable to answer requests, your final identified location is shared routinely, even when you’re offline or out of battery.
10. Zello Walkie TalkieZello Walkie Talkie (Android, iOS) could have made the information and topped the App Store throughout current hurricanes when phrase unfold that volunteers had been utilizing it to coordinate rescue efforts. But the push-to-talk wide-range communication app is helpful in additional temperate occasions as properly.
Zello Walkie Talkie
11. LifeLine ResponseFor a subscription price of $4.99 monthly to LifeLine Response (Android, iOS), you will get a extra fast emergency response (based mostly on GPS info and cell-tower triangulation) than when you known as 911 and needed to clarify the place you had been.
12. NoonlightFor a $2.99 monthly subscription price, you will get emergency assist with the press and launch of a button within the Noonlight (Android, iOS) app. With Noonlight’s newest replace, for $9.99 monthly, riders and drivers of vehicles, bikes and scooters may even get computerized crash detection and response. Just activate the Noonlight app in your smartphone, and you might be coated. Noonlight will quickly launch a driver rating function to present customers suggestions on their driving security.
13. Pet First AidAnimals are folks, too, particularly cats and canine. So get first-aid steps for over 25 widespread pet conditions by way of textual content, video and pictures, or find your nearest emergency vet hospital within the Pet First Aid (Android, iOS) app.
Pet First Aid
14. Emergency: AlertsObserve the locations you care about with real-time catastrophe alerts or monitor family members with in-app messaging within the Emergency (Android, iOS) app.
15. Find My Family, Friends & PhoneLife360’s Find My Family, Friends, Phone (Android, iOS) makes use of GPS location information to tell you the place your registered family and friends are in actual time.
What to do after an emergency16. FacebookFacebook (Android, iOS) could also be a supply of pretend information, however it’s an effective way to inform you that your family members are protected, courtesy of the Safety Check function. Make positive to mark your self as protected as quickly as you might be.
17. FEMAYou’ve survived the catastrophe, however now what? The FEMA (Android, iOS) app, developed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, ensures that you just discover native aid facilities to entry key companies, shelter and extra.
18. ReUniteReUnite (Android, iOS) is among the Most worthy apps round when you’re separated out of your family members throughout a pure catastrophe. To report a misplaced or discovered individual, simply add their photograph and data.
Editor’s word: An earlier model of this story ran on Download.com final yr.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images