Apple’s Keynote is an easy-to-use instrument for creating skilled displays whose simplified interface belies its energy and capabilities. And, do not let the truth that it is free throw you. With no licensing prices and native iPhone, iPad, and Mac compatibility, in addition to the power for Home windows PC customers to view and edit displays utilizing iCloud on the internet, Apple’s Keynote software deserves consideration.
When you’re new to Keynote, or when you’re contemplating changing Microsoft’s PowerPoint with Apple’s various, listed here are three keys to maximizing Keynote.
SEE: Software usage policy (Tech Professional Analysis)
1. Grasp the fundamentals
When you’re not conversant in Keynote (Determine A), here is a fast information to performing the commonest presentation actions.
- Add a Slide: Click on the + icon so as to add a brand new slide. Keynote will show a variety of latest slides, together with Title, Title & Bullets, and Picture Horizontal, that may be instantly added to the presentation.
- Add Textual content: Click on the Textual content icon on the high of the Keynote software, transfer (if required) the brand new textual content field, after which click on inside the textual content field to start getting into textual content.
- Add a Chart: Click on the Chart icon on the high of the Keynote software, choose the chart design you want to add, after which configure your chart utilizing the fashion, choices, and customization settings that seem inside the Inspector.
- Add Media: Click on the Media icon on the high of the Keynote software, choose the picture, music, or film you want to insert, after which customise the choice utilizing the corresponding settings Keynote shows inside its Inspector.
- Add a Form: Click on the Form icon on the high of the Keynote software, choose the form you want to add, after which configure the association, measurement, place, and rotation utilizing the customization settings that seem inside the Keynote Inspector.
- Add a Desk: Click on the Desk icon on the high of the Keynote software, choose the desk design you want to add, after which customise the desk utilizing the kinds, headers, footers, font, define, and different settings Keynote presents inside its Inspector.
- Modify Fill, Border, Shadow, and Reflection: Click on the ingredient in query, click on the Fashion tab inside the Inspector pane, and use the fill, border, shadow, and reflection choices to customise these components.
- Modify Slide Order: Transfer a slide’s place inside the presentation by guaranteeing you are utilizing the Navigator view (click on View and choose Navigator), after which click-and-drag slides to your meant places.
- Prepare and Align Parts: Click on the ingredient in query, click on the Inspector Prepare tab, and customise the association and alignment utilizing the supplied buttons and slider bins.
- Configure Animation: Click on the ingredient to animate, after which choose the Inspector’s Animate button. Click on Add An Impact to create an animation. Use the supplied slider bars and drop-down menus to regulate the chosen motion, which embrace dissolves, fly ins, and wipes.
- Ship a Presentation Over the Web: Click on the Keynote Dwell icon on the high of the appliance (clicking the icon locations a replica of the presentation in iCloud, enabling you to share the presentation with different customers on a Mac or iOS gadget or by way of the online). Keynote will then stroll you thru inviting viewers and generate a URL you may present others to view the presentation.
- Format Textual content: Spotlight the textual content to regulate and click on the Textual content tab inside the Inspector pane that seems on the right-side of the Keynote display screen.
- Rehearse a Presentation: Click on Play from the menu bar and choose Rehearse Slideshow.
- View and Edit Presenter Notes: Click on View from the menu bar and choose Present Presenter Notes. Simply as in PowerPoint, you may enter speaker’s notes inside Keynote’s backside pane.
SEE: Top 20 Apple keyboard shortcuts for business users (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
2. Leverage PowerPoint compatibility
Keynote is suitable with Microsoft PowerPoint. When you’re creating displays in collaboration with PowerPoint customers, or when you’re sending your Keynote file to a PowerPoint person, it can save you a Keynote file as a PowerPoint presentation or export the Keynote file as an PowerPoint presentation to reduce bother.
Full step-by-step directions for saving a Keynote file in Microsoft’s PowerPoint format can be found on TechRepublic.
Observe: Whereas most presentation components translate nicely between each platforms, anomalies generally come up; for instance, OLE objects and picture results could not translate completely. For a whole checklist of compatibility options and behaviors, view the excellent PowerPoint-to-Keynote chart Apple maintains on its website.
SEE: How to avoid and overcome presentation glitches (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
three. Faucet iCloud integration
All of Apple’s iWork purposes—Pages, Numbers, and Keynote—are built-in inside iCloud. Apple’s iCloud customers will discover separate directories created by default for storing every software’s information.
I initially discovered the iCloud habits of storing information by default inside the corresponding iCloud listing (on this case Keynote) a bit presumptuous, as I leverage quite a lot of storage places for information. However as I’ve more and more grow to be dependent upon cloud companies to share, view, and edit information together with displays utilizing an iPhone, iPad, Mac, and even Home windows PC, the characteristic has confirmed useful and saved me time.
iCloud additionally allows sharing Keynote information with different iCloud customers, together with PC customers who may in any other case use PowerPoint. Relying upon the permissions you set, iCloud customers can subsequently entry and even edit Keynote information utilizing their Apple gadgets or Home windows net browser.
You may allow collaboration options when constructing a presentation by clicking the Collaborate icon on the high of the Keynote software. The Add Individuals window will show, allowing you to make use of electronic mail, Messages, AirDrop, and different sources to ship the presentation to others. You can even configure share permissions, equivalent to specifying whether or not adjustments will be made, from inside the similar Add Individuals window.
Extra recommendations on Apple Keynote
After you grasp the fundamentals of Apple’s Keynote, you should definitely elevate your Keynote expertise through the use of pre-formatted themes, break up view, and the app’s media browser.