The S Pen writes higher and sooner on the Note 20 Ultra.
With its new Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra, Samsung has unleashed a swell of recent options to the Note line for energy customers. For starters, the Note 20 Ultra has a powerful 6.9-inch show with a sooner refresh charge, a much bigger battery and a microSD card slot. But I found some fantastic hidden options that make the consumer expertise even higher whereas testing out the Note 20 Ultra (the usual Note 20 evaluation is ongoing proper now).For occasion, you’ll be able to lock your home-screen format to protect it precisely the way in which you need and it will not get tousled after you have taken the time to rearrange every thing simply so, or you’ll be able to activate an alarm that may let you know when you’ve forgotten your S Pen.
For extra like this
Subscribe to the How To e-newsletter, obtain notifications and see associated tales on CNET.
Check out the 10 hidden options that make the Note 20 much more thrilling.
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is a do-everything gadget that’ll…
1. Take benefit of that sooner showThe Note 20 Ultra has a variable display screen refresh charge of as much as 120Hz. That means when your telephone detects you are doing one thing like scrolling by means of a protracted e-mail or web site, it makes use of the sooner refresh charge, making the scrolling expertise buttery clean. The commonplace Note 20 has a 60Hz show, with no 120Hz choice in any respect. When you are simply a photograph, or doing one thing else that does not require lots of onscreen movement, your Note 20 Ultra will default to 60Hz. It’s a good suggestion to double-check that your telephone has its Motion Smoothness function turned on. To try this, open Settings > Display > Motion smoothness and ensure Adaptive is chosen. As Samsung factors out, the elevated refresh charge will use extra battery, however that is a worth I’m keen to pay for a greater expertise.
Just thought I’d use the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra’s S Pen to make a GIF of the 120Hz display screen refresh charge menu and level out Samsung’s acknowledgement that the setting will scale back battery life pic.twitter.com/7sWvdxGUuP— Jessica Dolcourt (@jdolcourt) August 6, 2020
2. Don’t overlook your S PenThe Note’s S Pen is certainly one of its flagship options, nevertheless it’s additionally very simple to go away it sitting someplace, by no means to be seen once more. Thankfully, when you go to Settings > Advanced options > S Pen and scroll right down to the Removal part, you will discover an choice referred to as Pen proximity alert. Turn it on. Now, while you depart your S Pen sitting in your desk, or it falls between your sofa cushions and also you begin to stroll away, your telephone will beep as you get out of vary.
Samsung’s Note 20 Ultra 5G is putting from each angle
See all pictures
3. Always-on show places data a look awayOne of my favourite options about any Android telephone is the Always-On Display (AOD). With AOD turned on, you’ll be able to rapidly have a look at your telephone to test the time, see any pending notifications, battery share and even management music playback all with out having to wake your telephone up or unlock it. The Note 20 has an Always-On Display choice, however out of the field means you will have to wake your telephone’s display screen earlier than it is going to present up. It’s counterproductive. Change that by going into Settings > Lock display screen > Always on show. Don’t faucet on the button to show it on, as a substitute faucet on the textual content so you’ll be able to customise the way it works. Go by means of every setting and part, selecting out the clock and coloration you want, and even setting a schedule if you would like. See? Much higher. You actually do not wish to lose that S Pen, do you?
4. Switch up your lock display screen app shortcutsWhen you have a look at your telephone’s lock display screen, you will see an app icon that gives a fast approach to launch an app in every nook. Samsung units the telephone and digital camera apps because the default shortcuts, however can change which apps you’ll be able to open and the way you entry the shortcut. Open Settings > Lock display screen > Shortcuts and choose Floating button. While there, you can also change the apps proven in your lock display screen to no matter you need. With the floating button turned on, there will probably be a three-dot icon that reveals up simply above the fingerprint sensor in your lock display screen. Long-press on that button to view your app shortcuts, after which drag your finger to the app you wish to launch. 5. Change the variety of notifications proven within the standing barIt may be laborious to maintain up the numerous alerts our telephones obtain all day lengthy. It’s much more of a battle when the standing bar in your Note 20 limits the variety of icons for app notifications. The Note 20 Ultra I’m testing has a restrict of three app icons within the standing bar, which is not near sufficient. If you open Settings > Notifications > Status Bar, you’ll be able to change the standing bar to indicate a quantity for all pending notifications (which might really feel overwhelming, when you ask me), your three most up-to-date, or my private favourite, all notifications. Of course, there’s solely a lot room within the standing bar, so if in case you have a bunch of alerts from a lot of apps, not all of them will present up, however helped me to have greater than three current. The Note 20’s homescreen may be locked in place.
6. Lock your homescreen format to maintain it trying tidyIf you are like me, you spend lots of time shifting app icons and widgets round your homescreen. There’s a rhyme and purpose for which apps go the place, and when issues get moved, it throws your whole circulation off. Samsung permits you to lock your homescreen format, conserving every thing precisely the place you left it. Long-press on a clean spot of your homescreen, then faucet on Home Screen Settings when the choices popup. Find Lock Home display screen format and faucet on the change to show the function On. When it is enabled, you will see a reminder present up in your display screen anytime you attempt to transfer an app icon. If you typically hand your telephone to your child to look at movies, this function is your new finest good friend.Just swipe as much as go house.
7. Ditch the quaint button navigation setupOut of the field, your Galaxy Note 20 will default to Android’s conventional three-button navigation. There’ll be buttons to return, house and think about the app switcher. It’s time to make the change to Android 10’s gesture-based navigation. After a couple of days of swiping round your telephone, you will overlook all in regards to the buttons and respect the added display screen actual property. To flip it on, go to Settings > Display > Navigation Bar and choose Swipe gestures. I like to recommend turning on gesture hints for a couple of days when you be taught the brand new navigation approach. If you end up struggling, we now have a whole information to Android 10’s gesture navigation function, full with animated photos that present you precisely what to do. The S Pen is certainly one of our favourite Note 20 options.
8. Use the brand new S Pen Air InstructionsYour S Pen can achieve this far more than act as a stylus to jot down or draw in your Note’s show. Starting with the Note 20 line, you now can use the S Pen to regulate your gadget from throughout the room. All you will have to do is take away the S Pen, maintain down the button and use one of many 5 new gestures to return a display screen, go to your homescreen and extra. We cowl the brand new S Pen tips in full element, so be sure you test that out.Live Caption on the Galaxy S20 Plus seems to be and works similar to it does on the Note 20.
9. Live transcriptions for any audio in your NoteGoogle’s Live Caption function — which is able to transcribe movies, podcasts and even telephone calls in actual time — is on the market on the Note 20. All it’s good to do is slide down the short settings panel, discover the tile labeled Live Caption and faucet on it. A black bar will seem with the stay textual content taken straight from the audio. Turn off Live Caption by repeating the identical steps within the fast settings panel.10. Add further safety to pick out apps utilizing Secure FolderIf you are utilizing a piece telephone, however have private or personal info that you simply wish to lock down with one other passcode or sample, you’ll be able to benefit from the Notes Secure Folder function. Open Settings > Biometrics and safety > Secure folder to stroll by means of the setup course of. You can set up apps and retailer information and pictures. It’s such as you’re utilizing a very completely different telephone.If you are still making an attempt to resolve whether or not or not you can purchase the Note 20 or Note 20 Ultra, try our full Galaxy Note 20 Ultra evaluation, or the continuing Note 20 evaluation. If you have already got Samsung’s newest telephone, take a while to be taught all of its new S Pen suggestions and tips.