[Editor’s Observe: What instantly follows is a rundown of the newest developments and options Google has added to Apps for Work (G Suite) since this evaluation was first written.]
- Google Websites was improved with the flexibility to create and simply handle site-wide web page footers in a single place.
- The Jamboard app for cellular gadgets was enhanced to allow customers to create and edit objects in jams on their smartphones.
- Google Docs and Slides now has a much bigger font catalogue which helps 62 languages, and that features non-Latin scripts like Cyrillic, with extra on the best way.
- Google Docs, Sheets and Slides now permits customers to (optionally) copy throughout feedback and ideas when they’re duplicating a doc, spreadsheet or presentation.
- Google launched a new kit for Hangouts Meet which comprises all of the you’ll want to maintain high-quality video conferences utilizing Google’s videoconferencing software program.
- Add-ons for Gmail had been launched, which let customers entry sure options of in style apps proper from inside their inbox, together with the likes of Asana, QuickBooks and Trello.
- Google Calendar on the net benefited from a redesign to make it look extra just like the cellular app, and a few new options together with the flexibility to handle a number of calendars side-by-side.
- Google made it simpler to check and distinction completely different G Suite editions, and the agency additionally made it easier for customers to modify their subscription between these completely different editions.
- A brand new model of the Google Contacts app emerged on Android, which launched motion buttons below a contact’s picture to start out a chat or make a name, amongst different new options.
- Hangouts Meet now permits G Suite Enterprise prospects to make use of a dial-in telephone quantity to affix a gathering (audio-only) when out and about, in the event that they don’t have an web connection.
- Drive File Stream is now obtainable to all G Suite prospects, a desktop app which permits for straightforward and handy entry to all of your Google Drive recordsdata on demand.
- Google improved the Jamboard app to make it simpler to make use of in your cellular machine, and to permit customers to current a jam to a gathering instantly from their telephone.
- Google Sheets customers have gained the flexibility to customise their headers and footers, and to select from a spread of predefined choices (similar to web page numbers, dates and so forth).
- Google Slides acquired some nifty tweaks together with a brand new vary of add-ons, plus integration with Google Hold, permitting you to pull notes instantly from the latter into the previous.
- Gmail’s E mail Log Search function within the Admin console now permits admins to trace the supply of emails despatched by customers of their area, and see the present standing of these messages.
- Google’s Jamboard lastly went on sale within the UK (after being available in the US and Canada) with an asking value of £three,999.
- Google made its Contacts app obtainable to a wider vary of gadgets – mainly to all operating Android 5.zero or higher (together with Samsung, LG and Motorola gadgets).
- Google’s collaborative whiteboard, Jamboard, is now on sale in Canada for CA$6,949 (versus simply the US). With a bit of luck it can come to the UK quickly, as nicely.
- Google boosted the collaborative powers of Docs, Slides and Sheets with the introduction of a brand new system that clarifies which model of a doc collaborators are engaged on.
- Following the introduction of anti-phishing safety measures within the Gmail app for Android, those self same capabilities that warn of suspicious hyperlinks have arrived within the iOS app.
- Google has made knowledge loss prevention (DLP) performance obtainable for content material saved in Workforce Drives (this function got here to Google Drive again at the beginning of this yr).
- Google has tweaked the default apps which seem in its app launcher, so it can spotlight extra helpful apps off the bat, similar to Gmail, Google Drive and Docs.
- Google Drive has been tweaked so staff can share recordsdata saved in Google’s cloud with of us who don’t have a Google account, offering admin permissions permit this.
- Google’s Jamboard (collaborative digital whiteboard) now permits for duplicating objects, presents simpler object choice, and boasts a brand new keyboard that helps ‘glide typing’.
- G Suite benefited from the introduction of a new recruiting app: Rent lets employers hold tabs on potential candidates and permits for scheduling interviews and the like.
- Hangouts Meet now presents a stay chat perform, so assembly members can ship messages or hyperlinks in real-time, with a chat historical past obtainable during the assembly.
- Google introduced the imminent launch of a Backup and Sync app which robotically backs up recordsdata and pictures from a PC onto Google Drive. The enterprise model will comply with later in 2017.
- G Suite admins benefited from the introduction of automated provisioning for six new apps: Asana, Dialpad, Freshdesk, Lucidchart, RingCentral, and Smartsheet.
- Google has prolonged the flexibility of G Suite admins to limit sure customers from creating Workforce Drives, and this performance might be obtainable indefinitely (as an alternative of expiring in 2018).
- Gmail admins obtained the flexibility to inform inside mail senders with an informative warning when a message will get quarantined on account of a difficulty with compliance insurance policies.
- Google Vault was graced with numerous new options to make retrieving knowledge a extra correct course of, together with detailed metadata for recordsdata exported from Google Drive.
- Google’s Jamboard, the huge collaborative digital whiteboard, went on sale in the US on Might 23. You want a G Suite plan to make use of the 55-inch board which prices $5,000 (£four,100).
- The Fast Entry function, which makes an attempt to intelligently spotlight the recordsdata you would possibly want earlier than you’ve even looked for them, arrived for Google Drive on the net.
- Good Reply – Google’s nifty system which robotically suggests fast responses to emails, with a view to prevent the trouble – is coming to Gmail for Android and iOS.
- Google added pre-integrated single sign-on assist for 9 extra third-party apps, together with Asana, Dialpad, Evernote Enterprise, Expensify, Keeper, Pagerduty and Trello.
- Gmail on Android obtained a lift in safety with the introduction of anti-phishing checks to warn customers after they click on on a suspicious hyperlink in a message.
- New settings had been launched within the admin console to permit for higher administration of customers’ offline entry to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides recordsdata.
- Google Websites was improved with the introduction of the flexibility so as to add a emblem to your web site, which the app will intelligently scan for colors, and supply to make use of them throughout your theme.
- For these corporations that use Google+, which turned a part of G Suite final autumn, admins now have entry to improved enterprise-focused reporting on adoption and engagement.
- Google Cloud Search is now obtainable as an iOS app (it was already on Android). The app presents a machine intelligence-powered, unified search expertise throughout G Suite.
- Google started the rollout of a refreshed Google Accounts login web page, which has a brand new feel and appear that’s designed to be constant throughout telephones, tablets and PCs.
- Gmail on the desktop has been improved in order that whenever you obtain a message with a video attachment, you’ll be capable of preview the clip from proper inside your inbox.
- As a part of an effort to higher combine G Suite with Salesforce, Google made it potential to export a Salesforce Alternative Listing View on to Sheets with a view to bulk edit knowledge.
- Google introduced that Jamboard, its large digital whiteboard – billed because the ‘final freeform collaboration expertise’ for G Suite customers – will be out in May costing $5,000.
- Google launched a contemporary app, Meet by Google Hangouts, a videoconferencing resolution for companies that permits for video calls with as much as 30 group members.
- G Suite saw the addition of the Google Keep app, an Evernote-style note-taking effort which now you can entry from a sidebar panel in Google Docs.
- Google clarified that Hangouts customers received’t be capable of make video/audio calls in Firefox 52 on account of plugins being disabled for safety causes, however it’s actively engaged on an answer.
- Google Drive customers can now view password-protected Microsoft Workplace paperwork in Drive, in read-only type – and this works for Gmail attachments, too.
- Sheets (and its cellular apps) now helps the flexibility to rotate textual content inside a cell, plus Google launched new border types and improved accounting quantity formatting.
- Google additionally modified Sheets on the net so customers can hyperlink to particular cell ranges, so for instance it’s now potential to create a linked desk of contents on your spreadsheet.
- Need to insert movies instantly from Google Drive into Google Slides displays? Now you can do precisely that, with numerous choices to choose from similar to autoplay.
- Google Cloud Search was dropped at G Suite, providing bolstered search performance throughout the productiveness suite, and machine intelligence-powered suggestions.
- Google added enterprise-grade controls and visibility to G Suite, together with improved knowledge management with Information Loss Prevention measures, and extra scope for analytics.
- It turned simpler to create paperwork and the like from templates, because the latter can now be accessed instantly from Google Drive (fairly than having to enter the G suite apps).
- The cellular apps for each Google Docs and Sheets acquired numerous new options, together with the flexibility to insert headers/footers, plus improved manipulation of pictures.
- Google made it simpler to create group chats for groups in Hangouts, permitting for the straightforward creation and naming of ‘placeholder’ group chats which may be swiftly shared.
- Primary Cellular Administration was launched to G Suite, which lets admins implement primary safety on iOS gadgets without having for the person to put in an MDM profile.
- Google Sheets obtained some tuning, together with a brand new setting to maintain a restrict on iterative calculations, and a few interface enhancements had been made with the Android app.
- Gmail has been improved to make ‘bounce’ messages – the notifications customers obtain when an e mail fails to be delivered – extra simply comprehensible and informative.
- Google bolstered the Explore feature (launched in September) by making it lifeless simple to insert citations as footnotes in Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Lastly, this previous month, we found that G Suite is only half as popular as Microsoft’s Office 365, not less than in accordance with one survey of European enterprises.
- The cellular apps for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides had a ‘trash view’ launched whereby now you can see and restore beforehand deleted recordsdata.
- Google opened up applications for the Early Adopter Program for the Workforce Drives function in Google Drive, a brand new and extra sturdy approach of sharing recordsdata between groups.
- Slides was tweaked to allow customers to have the ability to save within the OpenDocument Presentation (ODP) file format for compatibility with the likes of LibreOffice and OpenOffice.
- G Suite has launched customized templates for Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Types, so you possibly can arrange your individual particularly tailor-made templates for colleagues to make use of as wanted.
- The overhauled Google Websites has been rolled out to all G Suite customers, boasting a refreshed design, six new themes, and the flexibility to trace efficiency with Google Analytics.
- Google pushed out a brand new Gmail app for iOS with main adjustments together with an improved design, higher search performance, and an ‘undo ship’ choice to retract e mail errors.
- It was introduced that the Google Drive desktop app received’t be supported by Google for Home windows XP, Vista or Server 2003 as of the beginning of subsequent yr, January 1, 2017.
- The voice options of Docs acquired a critical increase, with the introduction of latest instructions to format textual content, and do issues similar to inserting hyperlinks and feedback.
- Google teamed up with Slack so customers of the team-focused messaging resolution can instantly import recordsdata from Google Drive, or create new paperwork from inside Slack.
- Google additionally introduced that these utilizing aged variations of the Google Drive desktop app ought to word that assist for variations 1.27 or older might be discontinued in February 2017.
- Google Docs now helps you to embrace web page numbers within the desk of contents you possibly can create for a doc.
- Google launched built-in search performance for Gmail, Calendar, Teams, and Drive on the net, which means that search outcomes might be pulled from throughout all of those.
- Google has renamed Apps for Work as G Suite, which the corporate says higher displays the software program’s mission by way of placing the emphasis on real-time collaboration.
- Docs, Sheets and Slides witnessed the introduction of a brand new Discover function consisting of intelligent assistants that help you craft better documents.
- A brand new Fast Entry functionality was dropped at Google Drive. It makes use of machine studying to robotically floor recordsdata it thinks you may want subsequent primarily based in your utilization patterns.
- Google rolled out a brand new supply for customers of its productiveness suite, with a free 60-day trial of Chrome machine administration which is sweet for as much as 10 gadgets.
- Google Drive made looking out simpler with the introduction of pure language processing, which means that you could phrase your search in everyday conversational terms.
- Google introduced a partnership with Field whereby the latter might be built-in with Google Docs, permitting customers to edit paperwork instantly from Field’s cloud storage.
- A brand new Google Hangouts Chrome extension was pushed out permitting for a number of chat home windows to be included into one, and making extra chat content material readily seen.
- Google launched a ‘Cast…’ function in the principle menu of Chrome, and this can be utilized to share the contents of a browser tab – or the entire desktop – right into a Hangout session.
- Types obtained a brand new function which permits the insertion of pictures into surveys, so now you can do issues like have a a number of selection query with footage for solutions.
- The Android apps for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides had been improved to make it simpler to create tables and higher wanting charts.
- A few safety tweaks had been utilized to Gmail, an important of which is that the webmail service will now concern a warning a few hyperlink if it results in a identified malware web site.
- Inbox acquired integration with Trello and GitHub, so Trello customers will obtain a abstract of what is new with initiatives, and GitHub denizens will get a abstract of code adjustments.
- Google Drive’s preview function was improved to make viewing previews of saved recordsdata a slicker expertise, with a cleaner UI and higher zoom performance.
- Google introduced a new scheme to assist prepare staff on its productiveness suite, with the system designed to behave like a ‘digital coach’ to assist customers be taught when IT employees aren’t round.
- Google tweaked the Admin app for Android to let delegated admins (and never simply tremendous admins) use the software program to entry features whereas out and about.
- Google gave the Admin console some consideration by way of two-step verification, permitting admins to view the real-time standing of the place every person is within the 2SV enrolment course of.
- Apps for Work is outwardly being muscled out by Microsoft’s Office 365, not less than if sentiment from Redmond’s Worldwide Accomplice Convention is on the cash.
- Google launched the brand new Quizzes function within the Types app, designed to permit academics to simply create and mark assessments for college students.
- Google Springboard was introduced, a search software (presently being examined) that can be utilized to rapidly discover issues throughout Google Apps, plus it makes proactive suggestions.
- Google Websites acquired revamped with a brand new preview model boasting a easy drag-and-drop design which is extra intuitive, and assist for real-time collaboration was launched.
- A ‘new and notable’ part was launched to the Google Apps Market, with a view to spotlight the most effective third-party apps obtainable to companies.
- The Android and iOS apps for Google Docs and Sheets gained the flexibility to edit content material in Print structure view, and to edit current conditional formatting guidelines in Sheets.
- Google tweaked Docs, Sheets and Slides so notifications of feedback made not solely arrive by way of e mail, however you can too get a notification in your Android machine or net browser.
- Google introduced its new Spaces messaging app designed for small teams – however there is no information as but on when (or certainly whether or not) it can come to Apps for Work.
- At Google I/O new APIs had been launched for Sheets, giving builders a “new stage of entry” to a few of the hottest options within the app.
- New APIs had been additionally dropped at Slides permitting builders to simply push knowledge from different third-party apps into Slides for optimum comfort.
- Google revealed that Android apps will be available for Chromebooks, and this opens up extra productiveness potentialities together with utilizing the Android model of Microsoft Phrase.
- Google built-in its BigQuery service with Google Drive, permitting customers to question recordsdata instantly from Drive, and save question outcomes from the BigQuery UI on to Google Sheets.
- Google Slides benefited from a brand new Q&A function that lets viewers members submit inquiries to the speaker instantly from their cellular gadgets throughout a presentation.
- The Synergyse service was absolutely built-in with Google Apps, a digital assistant that helps prepare customers within the numerous apps and was beforehand a Chrome extension.
- Google Drive and Evernote had been built-in, permitting Evernote customers to seamlessly entry any file on Drive.
- Google Apps for Work obtained two new certifications: ISO 27017 for cloud safety and ISO 27018 for privateness.
- A brand new ‘Discover a Time’ function arrived in Google Calendar for Android, permitting cellular customers to search out handy instances for conferences after they’re on the go.
- Google’s scheme of offering Apps free of charge to medium-sized corporations who wish to migrate over however are locked into an Enterprise Settlement was prolonged till the tip of 2016.
- Reminders pitched up within the net model of Google Calendar, and stated reminders will sync throughout browsers and cellular gadgets.
- The Google Admin app obtained bolstered cellular machine administration capabilities, permitting for admins to deal with safety breaches even after they’re out and about.
- Analysis into the most-used business apps on the web ranked Google Apps for Work in fourth place – behind Workplace 365, Salesforce.com and Field.
- Google launched its #maketime website, which goals that will help you prioritise the way you spend time throughout work hours, and spotlight how Google Apps for Work can prevent time.
- Google expanded support for its Identity Platform to cowl logins for a lot extra third-party apps within the Google Apps Market, together with Workplace 365 and Fb at Work.
- A complete bunch of latest templates had been added to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Gmail’s existing Data Loss Prevention features acquired a lift with the addition of OCR for scanning attachments and extra predefined content material detectors.
- Google additionally gave Gmail the flexibility to flag email accounts that it deems ‘insecure’.
- Google Docs was enhanced with voice typing, permitting customers to dictate to their phrase processor, and likewise entry enhancing and formatting instructions.
- Google Types gained assist for add-ons and the flexibility to edit Apps Scripts, plus work and education-related templates had been launched to the house display.
- The Gmail for Android app obtained assist for wealthy textual content formatting, and an possibility for one-tap on the spot RSVPs was launched.
- Instantaneous feedback had been launched to Google Docs, permitting customers to click on a easy icon so as to add a right away remark to a doc.
- The flexibility so as to add feedback arrived within the Sheets and Slides apps for each Android and iOS.
- Google additional bolstered the Sheets Android app with the flexibility to open and edit CSV and TSV recordsdata, together with further recordsdata supported for import and export.
- Google Calendar for Android and iOS apps was graced with good ideas that pop up urged occasion titles, locations and folks.
- Search turned extra highly effective throughout Google’s productiveness suite, so when customers search from Docs, Sheets, and Slides house screens, they get outcomes from throughout all three apps.
- Google rejigged machine administration within the Admin console, categorising the assorted settings to make every part simpler to search out.
Darren Allan contributed to this text